"Time keeps no measure when true friends are parted, No record day by day; the sands move not for those who, loyal-hearted, friendship's firm laws obey."

Monday 25 January 2010

It's been a long time!

Hey guys,

I am sorry that there has been such a huge gap between this post and the previous one. So much has gone on! I will try and explain as briefly as possible, as I am currently in the post office in Kommetjie and need to not be too long!

I left Swaziland a couple of days prematurely, due to some things going on in the lives of the family I was staying with. This meant I had to stay with Kathy and Carlo for a couple of extra nights before my next destination. On one of the days, I actually had a hair cut here in South Africa - purely because they wash your hair and give you a 20 min head and neck massage included in the price! It was so amazing!!

On Thursday 14th January I travelled over to Footprints Children's Centre, just outside Jo'burg. I truly cannot express in words how amazing this place was! I hope my pictures and stories when I come home do it justice. Please ask me about them, what they do, and the children there. Amazing. I used to have a recurring dream when I was younger about a house filled with children. I think it was Footprints.

I stayed a week and flew down to Cape Town, where I was picked up at the airport by Kathy's cousin Paul. I stayed the night with his mum and brother in Hout Bay, a beautiful fishing town at the back base of Table Mountain. What an incredible landing in the plane, above the clouds, the sun setting and with an awesome view of Table Mountain!

On Friday morning, Will and Naomi Greeves picked me up in Hout Bay! It was so nice seeing them, especially in a foreign country. We drove along Chapman's peak (a coastal road with amazing views) to reach Kommetjie, a beautiful small seaside town. This last weekend has been filled with meeting new people, eating at some amazing places, seeing lots of wildlife, enjoying the (very hot!) sunshine and trying to spot sharks - for those of you that don't know, Fish Hoek (about 20 minutes from Kommetjie and where we paddled on Friday) is where a man got eaten by a great white shark just LAST WEEK! And people were still swimming in the sea. We are really amped to see a shark!

On Saturday, our friends Stuart and Sandra Thompson met us in Kommetjie. Stuart is a local Kommetjie boy and Sandra is his Spanish wife, they have been travelling around SA for the last few weeks. We were staying in their friends' house, right next to the beach! On Sunday we went to church here and then went to the beach as the boys surfed, finishing the day with a braai.

Today we are heading out to Cape Town, where we'll be listening to Will's friend Jonno who is a jazz drummer. His band are playing in the city. It should be lekke! Tomorrow early morning, we leave for Elands Bay which is further up the West Coast. Apparently the surf is going to be better up there, and we have a few days to ourselves at a nice house. And then I come home!

So here my blog ends. I hope this has been enough information. I assumed I will not be blogging again until I return to email on Saturday! A month has flown by - I have learnt lots and had lots of time to think about the future. I am looking forward to sharing stories with you when I return.

No comments:

Post a Comment